Thursday, February 19, 2015

UK Defense Secretary Says Cold War Is Heating Up

Russia's continual aggression against Ukraine has not, as of now, ceased and will not likely for any time in the foreseeable future. However, now it seems as though Vladimir Putin is toying with Great Britain to see how far he can push them. Micheal Fallon, the U.K.'s defense minister, has said;
"It is a very real and present danger, [Vladimir Putin] has been testing Nato all last year. [...] If you look at the number of flights, maritime activity… he flew two Russian bombers down the English Channel two weeks ago suddenly on a Wednesday morning. We had to scramble the jets very quickly to see them off."
Fallon has said that Russia's defense spending is very concerning, especially considering the recent modernisation of their nuclear forces. This kind of action would have been concerning from a militarily inactive power, but it isn't censored knowledge that Russia has had military force inside of Ukraine for months.

Russia, in order to annex Crimea, demanded that there was a large number of Russians in Crimea that needed protection by the Russian government (which, in retrospect, sounds awfully 1938-Germany of them *ahem*).

Now, there is concern that Russia would use a similar method of strategy to take the Baltic States of Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia.

In response to Fallon's fears, the UK will be sending troops to eight different locations to create a spearhead force led by 1,000 British soldiers. Naturally, these troops would only act if presented with aggression, but there is a disturbing pattern to Putin's actions. It is hard to imagine a situation where Vladimir Putin built up his military to its current strength, and gained the land he has, only to say that that's all he ever wanted and regress.

That's all I have to say for today, but I'll be back tomorrow.

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist." -Dom Camara 

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete