Thursday, February 5, 2015

Gay Marriage and Its Ongoing Battle in Alabama

Alabama is known as being the 49th state in almost every category including job growth, quality education, child protection, and several other categories, usually placing just ahead of Mississippi. However, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals officially denied the state of Alabama's request to stay same sex-marriage laws until the Supreme Court hears the official case this upcoming Summer.

However, since the court denied this stay, homosexuals in Alabama can now be married. This change came when a judge ruled that Alabama's Marriage Protection Act and Sanctity of Marriage Amendment were unconstitutional by the state and federal constitutions.

This ruling makes Alabama the first state in the traditional deep south to allow same-sex marriage (although it would be a stretch to say most Alabamians are too happy with it. It is still Alabama.).

Naturally, it is presumable that the typical hecklers on the issue are against the issue of gay marriage. Although this is an extremely controversial subject, the moral right is more than clear in this situation. The fact is, the United States of American does not use the Christian Bible or religion as a primary source while creating laws

If there is an instance where it was then that law is in the moral wrong. These so-called "Sanctity of Marriage" Amendment and "Marriage Protection" Act are clearly in that category. The names of these laws alone show the hard-headed, one-sided ideology of the south on this issue. The fact that outlawing gay marriage is grouped in as "protecting" marriage, and preserving it's sanctity is in itself disgusting.

Also, using a religious source as a method of creating political law is precisely the way that societies end up with horrific traditions, like flogging a blogger weekly over insulting Islam. (Not even considering the fact that Leviticus 18:22 is now actually thought to be on the subject of rape not homosexuality.)

Also, the argument that this is a matter of states' rights (being that states being forced to accept gay marriage is unconstitutional) is also not quite sound. It is thought, by those who support gay marriage, that having "equal protection" includes marriage considering the social and economic benefits marriage comes with. By that logic, these laws would be violating the state's and federal government's constitution, and is therefore is not a matter of states' rights.

The fact of the matter is, this is a social issue that needs to be swiftly handled once and for all. It is no longer acceptable for a human being to be denied the right to marry who they love. There is nothing else to it. It does not matter who it offends or who disagrees with it.

Love is love.

That's all I have to say for today, but I'll be back Monday.

"Never allow the poor access to education if you want to keep your grip of power. When you have to rule by telling everyone there is a monster under the bed, the worst thing you can do is give them a flashlight to see if it is true." -Tynghedfen Anreese

2 comments:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Sir, Christophre is mine. I listen to sludge all day long just to come on here and basically to get a "high" off this inspiring messages and highly educated news reporting. If this was to end, I would be heartbroken. However, if it was to end and we were together, Christophre, my heart would be filled with gooey, fluffy, happy feelings.
    I will care for you and what you stand for Christophre. When I am watching T.V., I imagine you as a ebony Disney princess and I your loyal talking pet. As we retreat to our castle, and lay in bed together after a long day of ruling the kingdom with an iron fist. Then we use the iron fist on each other until completion.
    P.S. I care so much for you come visit me:)

    ReplyDelete