Thursday, February 26, 2015

Australia Shooting Was Forseeable

Throughout the days of December 9th and December 12th, a national security hotline in Australia received 18 calls about the potentially worrisome content on the Facebook page of one Man Haron Monis. Thankfully, that's what these call-lines are for.

Wrong. Three days after the calls went in, Monis took 18 individuals hostage and after a 17-hour siege was shot and killed by the police.

After his death, details were revealed about Monis that had citizens wondering whose flaw in logic had cause these events. He was recently out of prison and was not suppose to be in possession of a weapon.

The Australian Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, stated that the system let the people down. HE went on to say that;
"Plainly, this monster should not have been in our community," Mr Abbott told reporters in Sydney. [...] He shouldn't have been allowed into the country. He shouldn't have been out on bail. He shouldn't have been with a gun. And he shouldn't have become radicalised."
It does not seem overly-bold of the Prime Minister to say that this system has failed them. Monar was simply one of thousands of potential issues, and after each of the 18 calls was investigated, his position as a threat did not change, for their was no substantial evidence to believe he was a threat.

That's all I have to say today, but I'll be back tomorrow.

"Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards." -Peter Berg

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete