Sunday, February 15, 2015

Indian Man Paralyzed by Madison Police

Police brutality has long been a rampant issue in the United States, where you are nine times more likely to be killed by police officers than by terrorism (who, as we are often reminded, are an overwhelmingly large threat to our freedom). 

There are many fingers to be pointed on the matter of police brutality, but regardless of fault it is an issue that Americans often struggle to swallow when confronted with its existence. Of course, it is only natural to feel dumbfounded when given the medicine that the protectors of the people are also acting barbarically.

Sureshbhai Patel, although not an American citizen, witnessed this brutality first-hand when he came to Madison, Alabama. Patel's son is attending the University of Alabama in Huntsville getting a degree in Electrical Engineering in order to better care for his wife and their newly-born 17-month year old child.

Patel was approached by police after a caller stated there was a "skinny, brown man" looking at people's garages. When approached by the police, 57-year-old Patel (who did not understand English well enough to explain himself) was thrown to the ground and partially paralyzed by the officer.

Following his admission to the hospital, a GoFundMe page was created to pay for the man's medical bills (as of February 15th, the page had raised near 162 thousand dollars). At the press conference on Tuesday, this video was released of the event:




The officer responsible, Eric Parker, was initially only suspended from the Madison Police Department. However, he was later fired and arrested on assault charges. The Madison Police Department has said there was no crime committed.

Although justice has been delivered (to the most available degree) on this matter, the issue is that these sorts of issues are taking place to begin with. This kind of incident is beyond too common for United States police officers. 

That's all I have to say today, but I'll be back tomorrow.

"You have to be odd to be number one." -Dr. Seuss

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete