Sunday, February 1, 2015

Burning Books: A Barbaric Atrocity

Throughout history there has always been one characteristic, (whether in literature, film, or reality) that defines a disgustingly authoritarian power, and that is the party's willingness to burn books.

Whether it was in Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 or Hitler's Nazi regime, book-burning has always been one of the dominant oppressive actions of a leadership who must use force to inflict its ideals. Using this sort of tactics is, naturally, one of the first signs of a ideologically weak cause.

Therefore, there should be no surprise to the people when extremists have turned to the horrific practice. When the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) took control of the Central Library of Mosul last month, their natural first target was the sound ideas of other groups. With that mission in hand, they began to burn over 2,000 books from the library, including children's books, philosophy books, science texts, and any other area they could find.

The only books they left: Islamic texts. They stated that all the books they took promoted infidelity and insulted Allah, and as a result had to be destroyed.

The very idea that any ideology that does not align with your own personal belief system must be destroyed is a disease in and of itself. Although in more developed countries we tend to see ourselves above this sort of practice, no culture is innocent of this crime. Every country has its own difficulties accepting outside beliefs, and although it may not be to as extreme of a degree as the Islamic States', it is still existent.

This fear of other people's beliefs is an issue that will inevitably have to be addressed by the people. It is important that we as a society learn to accept other's cultures. Each system has its own benefits and flaws, and we must see them as such.

That's all I have to say today, but I'll be back tomorrow.

"I wear a mask. And it is not to hide who I am, it's to create what I am." -Brian Azzarello, Batman

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete