Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Some Highlights of the State of the Union Address

Politics is a brutal and often tragic (but simultaneously inevitable) part to the life of every American citizen. However, even as the non-ruling class of the era, it is extremely important for us to see all that our predecessors accomplish (or don't) and learn (or disregard) from the mistakes and strengths they employ.

So, with that, I have taken some of the highlights and quotes of 2015's State of the Union Address, and will do my best to illustrate these highlights.

"That is why I'm sending Congress a bold new plan to lower the cost of Community College (applause) to zero!"

I have previously stated my overwhelming support for this plan of free higher education which would induct America into the many countries that have already taken that path. The movement toward free higher education would mean a more educated society, and as a direct result, cultural and scientific progress that the world undoubtedly craves.

"If you truly believe you can make less than 15,000 dollars a year and support a family, try it."

This statement regarding the heightening of nationwide minimum wage was truly a bold way to start of the Address. This remark was quite the shot at Congressmen who are against the proposition, which has long been a key point for Congressional Democrats.

"I intend to protect a free and open internet."

I was personally thrilled to hear this from the president as that same ideology has been under attack more times in the past 5 years than I could count on my fingers (including but not limited to SOPA, CISPA, CIPA, PIPA, DOPA, and the like). However, the president also introduced the issue of cybersecurity later in his speech, and it is often hard to have safety in both areas. So, like all things, we will have to keep close watch on it.

"That's how America leads. Not with bluster, but with precision and resolve."

This moment was much more sentimental and a line that hit American's right in their exceptionalism glands. Regardless, it did provide the President with the much needed humanity he must show towards his citizens.

"With Cuba, we are ending a policy that is long past its expiration date. (Applause) When what you're doing doesn't work for fifty years, it's time to try something new."

This addressed the controversial decision and movement toward destroying the Cuban-American embargo that has separated our countries for so long. He held up a great point in this moment when he says that a fifty year long, non-working plan is just that. Non-working.

"A better politics isn't where democrats abandon their agenda, or where Republicans simply embrace mine. A better politics is where we debate without demonizing each other."

This statement could not be more true. Politics in America has become a lot of gridlocked jargon that benefits absolutely no one involved. Moving past this ignorant history of bitter arguments is the first step in assuring a safe future for the coming generations. 

"My fellow Americans, we too are a strong tight-knight family. We too have made it through some very hard times."

This is another line that was designed to hit Americans right in their sentiment and ideally give them a sense of unity. Fortunately for the President, it most definitely worked. Perhaps it is due to the fragment of truth within the statement. America is working its way out of hard times and will only be able to do it together.

That's all I have to say today, I'll be back tomorrow.

"What makes you a man isn't having the ability to conceive a child. It's having the courage to raise one." -United States President Barack Obama

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete