Monday, January 5, 2015

NYPD Decides That Peace and Lawfulness Is Not Worth It

On December 27th, Officer Liu and Officer Ramos of the New York Police Department were shot and killed by an armed shooter who connected himself (quite falsely) with the I Can't Breathe and Black Live Matter movements.

At their funerals, Mayor Bill de Blasio spoke to the attendants and on both occasions the New York Police officer's who attended turned their backs to the Mayor in a silent protest. This happened much more so at Ramos's funeral (which came first) than at Liu's, but it occurred both times.

They did this in protest to Bill de Blasio taking the side of citizens during the police brutality protests of late. The Commissioner stated several times that there was "blood on the hands" of City Hall and Mayor Bill de Blasio.

So, the officers decided to suit up into their uniforms, attend a funeral, and then make their political statement.

Although, I do consider it necessary in every situation for the public to protest and voice their opinion, this backlash from the NYPD is absolutely absurd.

All political reasoning aside, these officers used another officer's funeral as a time to spark their protest against the mayor. It does not matter what the situation is, that is nothing above disrespectful.

Also, the reasoning has been applied repetitively that the Mayor should stand by his police department at all costs and deal with issues behind closed doors. Although the logic there is reasonable, the Mayor is hired as a voice of the people, and he is suppose to represent his constituents.

As well, one retired officer, Tom Burke, who reflected on the NYPD's philosophy of the situation stated that Mayor de Blasio has "always been a cop hater" and drew a parallel to his friendship with Reverend Al Sharpton as evidence of his claim. That alone seems borderlining ignorance.

So although protest and forming educated opinion is important, this entire situation is entirely melodramatic. Officers Liu and Ramos will be remembered, but asking a Mayor to not stand beside his citizens is entirely ridiculous.

That's all I have for today, but I'll be back tomorrow.

"The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable." -James A. Garfield

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete