Sunday, January 25, 2015

Greek Election Results In: Left Wins

The poll results for the general election came in, and the left-wing Syriza party, lead by Alexis Tsipras, has taken victory. This wasn't a particular shock considering a partial poll showed that the Syriza party held around 36.5% of public favor, while their head opponent, the right-wing, New Democracy party, only held around 27.7%.

Upon victory, Tsipras said that the country's group of constant lenders is "finished", in a jab at his right-wing opponent and Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras.

This new victory means that the party will take 150 of the 300 seats in Greek Parliament, just one shy of an overall majority. Following the victory, hundreds of supporters went to the streets waving flags in support of the recently-powered party.

Although this is of vast importance in Greece, why does it pertain to the more Western countries? The answer is worldwide economics.

Greece's economy has been one of the worst off of the developed first world countries, borrowing a vast amount of money from the so-called "Troika", including a 240 billion euro bailout in 2010.
"The verdict of our people means the Troika is finished."
So, the world will watch and wait to see what this new shift in power means for the people of Greece.

"Maybe this is why we read, and why in moments of darkness we return to books; to find words for what we already know." -Alberto Manguel
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete