Sunday, January 11, 2015

Boko Haram's Deadliest Massacre Yet

Recently, in Paris, there was horrific tragedy as a result of an attack on freedom of speech and the nature of satire. The outcry against the group and it's effects were phenomenal and the public has stood with the victims.

However, the public has a much greater tragedy lurking in the shadows, with much larger demons to answer to.

In an act of Islamic extremism, the terrorist group known as Boko Haram launched its most deadly attack in its short history. 

The group attacked and seized a town on the border of Chad known as Baga, where they seized a key military base, and later attacked again. District Head Baba Abba Hassan said that most victims of the attack were children, women, or the elderly who could not run fast enough once the group charged the town and shot assault rifles and rocket propelled grenades at citizens.

The total count, as of now, is somewhere around the number of 2,000 innocent civilians dead as a result of the attack.

I am on the edge of speechless over these kinds of acts of terror. 2,000 lives completely erased, 2,000 libraries burned to the ground, 2,000 lights doused, and all so that a group of heartless monsters could try and make an outdated, uneducated political statement.

The issue that we will always see after a disgustingly horrific event like this is people desiring a group to point the finger at. We must remember that these people do not represent the ideology of the majority of Muslims. They spit on the name and beliefs that they so thoroughly "support", and present an incorrect facade for the rest of their people.

So do not be so quick to point fingers, for these people are not Muslim. They are simply monsters.

"Sleep is good, and books are better." -Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete