Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Facebook Surrenders.

On Monday, it was reported that a Turkish court ordered Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerburg to remove photos of the prophet Mohammad. If he refused to comply, Turkey threatened to remove access to Facebook altogether. 

So, of course, Zuckerburg rolled over in compliance with Turkey's decision. This is the same Mark Zuckerburg who so readily announced, not even a month ago, "je suis Charlie" in an act of free-speech defense. 

We almost let North Korea keep us from releasing The Interview.
We almost let extremists tell us what we were allowed to write in newspapers.
Now we're going to let a Turkish court tell us what we're allow to view on Facebook?

The idea that anyone should be able to get offended, and by association, remove content from the internet or the eyes of the public as a result, is utter insanity. It goes directly against the ideals of free speech and free press.

Zuckerburg's hypocrisy is one more factor in the forming of a dangerous precedent working against a free-speech-society.

That's all I have to say today, but I'll be back tomorrow.

"If you love two people at the same time, choose the second one. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second." -Johnny Depp

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete