Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Environment, You Know, The One That Keeps Us Alive

One of the greatest quotes that I've ever heard was by Hubert Reeves. He said;

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible God and slaughters a visible nature... without realizing that this nature he slaughters is this invisible God he worships."

I can't begin to explain how much I agree with this.

Modern people tend to associate environmentalists with eco-terrorism, or the typical hippie, pot-smoker.

We have to leave that kind of mentality though, not just individually, but as a whole society. 

Just recently, Chevron was ordered to pay 19 billion dollars in environmental damage costs and they weren't the first. No doubt, if you were paying attention in 2010, you remember the BP Oil Crisis. That event alone woke up many sleeping giants in the Eco-Activist Community.

We fail to realize the true destruction of some of our actions. Every single gallon of gas that is burned in our cars produces 19 pounds of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. There's the impression that since we breath out carbon dioxide it can't be that  bad for us. 

Well, if you lock yourself in a room without vents, windows, or air circulation what-so-ever, you will suffocate.

Every minute that passes, Americans dumps 15 tons of sewage into the oceans of the world.

Over 100 million Americans live in areas with air pollution considered harmful by the United States government.

The point that I am trying to carry with this is the necessity for these fixes. Free-reign capitalists and hard-set conservatives will often tell you that environmental reform necessity is "stupid", or is a myth.

However, you cannot argue with facts, and that fact is that the system we have is unsustainable. The reason people side with this sort of logic is that, although the reform is needed, it likely will hurt the economy in ways that unlimited, free-market supporters would kick and scream for.

We, as humans, often treat our planet as if we've got a different one to go to when this one dies. Alas, that is not the case.

I do hope that as a species we can see the damage we are causing and take the actions necessary for our kids and theirs after that.

That is all I have for today, I'll be back tomorrow with another post!

"The nuclear arms race is like two sworn enemies, standing waist deep in gasoline, one with three matches, the other with five." -Carl Sagan

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete