Thursday, October 2, 2014

Go Generation Z! Woo!

As I mentioned when I started it, I made this blog to express the opinion of a kid from Generation Z, and to show the power we hold.

I'm not alone in this, however.

A group of students in Denver, Colorado went into protest on Monday after schools had to be shut down due to 52 of the 65 teachers at the school calling in sick after 8 o'clock.

The student's protests and the teacher's sudden ailments both relate back to the school board's recent changes to the system. The first change being that teachers would be paid based on performance review, which was already put into action.

The second change is one the one that truly catches my eye, caught the eye of the students that are marching, and will hopefully spark a little anger in your mind.

The school board voted to alter the AP History curriculum. Sounds harmless enough, right? Wrong.

The proposal read:
“Materials should promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials, and benefits of the free enterprise system, respect for authority, and respect for individual rights. Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife, or disregard of the law. Instructional materials should present positive aspects of the United States and its heritage.”
 Sigh.

There is not words for obstructions of justice like this. I am happy to see the civil disobedience these students have raised in concern of the issue.

If you don't see the problem, then let me explain. Listen up Jefferson County. When we settled America we slaughtered Native Americans, and ran them out of their homes and lands because we thought we were better. When we needed workers, we brought them over from Africa and treated them as property instead of people. How about when the U.S. government firebombed a Philadelphia ghetto and shot the survivors? Or when they slaughtered 156 unarmed Indians at Wounded Knee?

America has made huge, sincere mistakes on several occasions that had horrible aftermath. Do you, Jefferson County Schools, know why we take History classes? It is not for the board to shove meaningless, America-worshipping propaganda down the throats of children.

History is studies to learn from the mistakes of our predecessors and hope that maybe, one day, things will get a little better one generation at a time. Your agenda makes that impossible
“They'll be ignorant to the facts, but they'll also be ignorant to civic consciousness,” said Tony Robinson “There are a good deal of studies that show this kind of ‘patriotism education’ is associated with xenophobia, jingoism, and authoritarian personalities. And when those youth actually confront the reality of their country’s history, there’s a shocking moment of disillusionment and radicalization.”
I couldn't have said it better myself. So, I want these kids to know that I stand by them. There are people who stand with them and believe they're doing the right thing. No governing body should be allowed to censor education to their own crafting.

That story ran a bit long so I am going to leave it at that for today, come back tomorrow for the next entry!

"The roosters in the coop smell the blood from above. They see the organs of their brothers lying around them. They know they're next. Yet they do not rebel. They do not try to get out of the coop. The very same is being done with human beings in this country." -The White Tiger

2 comments:

  1. Great points, Chris! American exceptionalism is a myth that needs to be quashed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete