Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Rest in Peace Michael Brown.

If you're anything like me, when you heard the Ferguson verdict yesterday, your heart sank a bit. No matter what stance you take, we should all be able to agree that the unnecessary death of any human being on this earth is something to be mourned over. If you support Ferguson's police department, so be it, and if you support Mike Brown's protesters, so be it, however we should understand that this is not a light event.

If you aren't aware of what exactly the verdict was, the officer who shot and killed teenager Michael Brown was given no indictment for the events that took place.

Considering the protests were turning violent and increasingly anti-police before the verdict, the events that transpired were more than predictable.

As of Time of Writing (~2:30 A.M. CST) there have been over 30 arrests from the police department, and at least 150 gunshots. One police officer was shot but not seriously hurt. Multiple buildings have been set to fire, one from a poorly-made molotov, and the rest by acts of purposeful intention. Tear gas is littering every street corner, and the citizens of the area are absolutely furious.

President Obama released a statement on the matter saying this;

"We need to accept that this decision was the grand jury's to make," Obama said Monday night. "There are Americans who agree with it, and there are Americans who are deeply upset, even angry. It's an understandable reaction. But I join Michael's parents in asking anyone who protests this decision to do so peacefully."

Personally, I've heard several people mock the president's input on the situation. One person complained "The president has bigger problems. Why doesn't he talk about Iran's nuclear program, or North Korea?"

The reason I mention this is to go ahead and dismiss that kind of explanation. The president has a large civil uprising in his country, and if there was one thing he should give his input on, it's this.

As of 2:30 A.M. CST, protesters were completely surrounding the police station throwing things, and shouting hate speech at the local police.

All of this was expected, and as a citizen it is nice to see other citizens stand up for their beliefs, however, as a person, it breaks my heart to see that it became so violent and hateful.

I do believe it is our job as individuals to fight for each other, and do what is necessary to demand our rights. However, violence is never the correct answer, I'm afraid. Sometimes it may be the easiest one, but it will never be the right one. It is hard to forgive each other and take the time to make change. It is hard to have trust in each other. However, it is also peaceful, and that is always preferable.

Every time a child, like Mike Brown, dies there is a mother who cries for them. People never forget these sort of things throughout their lifetime, and it his hard to accept. However, we as a people must look at ourselves and ask if burning down KFCs is the answer.

I support every member of this group and hope only the best in their protests. But I also hope, more than anything else, that we can find it in ourselves to not take this anger and hatefulness out on each other, but on the ideas of militarization, and brutality, and corruption.

That's all I have for today, I'll be back tomorrow with another post.

"I think the men who play with toys taken over, and if we don't take the toys out of their hands, we are fools." -Ray Bradbury

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete