Monday, November 3, 2014

Education. It's Important. Believe It Or Not.

I've said before that I'm worried the way that education is heading, and if you'd been to a public school lately you would likely be too. There's a lot of issues throughout the system that are, for some reason, widely accepted.

So, I will first tell you the problems, once I get through them, I will tell you the solution I have.

Education is a very important, and in all honesty, very amazing thing that we have come to as a race.

We must pass along what we've learned from the previous generation, but how exactly do we go about doing that? It's a complicated issue to bring a solution to, but I do have one.

You see, we decided as a society that it was important to pass on past knowledges down generations and it would give us the ability to improve on our ideas and works. However, kids aren't excited to learn anymore. They haven't been for centuries.

We have become selective of what we teach, and that is a problem. We have a group of adults who haven't learned much of anything new in years deciding what it is that the generation below them should be understanding.

When we are in Kindergarten, at least where I went, there are always posters about there being no dumb questions. That is a false flag, though.

When you are a student, you're pressured to stick to the program, and don't drift too far from the current.

Also, there is a new disturbing trend where year after year there is test after test after test. This is especially bad in the Huntsville area due to Wardynski's desire to be approved of by outside sources, so he agrees for Huntsville to try all these different tests.

These tests prove nothing about what kids do or do not know. They segregate kids off and make them feel stupid or like they need help, when they don't. This is exactly how kids end up dreading education, and all so the leaders of the system can get more data on their kids. Data they do not need.

Lastly, school is suppose to be about knowing, learning, and branching out. However, school has, from my experience, turned from that sort of educational experience, into something different.

It has become an outlet for authorities to suppress any sort of far-reaching thoughts from the kids of the next generation. It has become a place where people can brand fresh minds with old and outdated ideals. There are ideals that have been inapplicable for decades now, but is trudged on helplessly by people who are scared to let their views die off.

Education has become a place to control children.

In my own personal high school, when I was a freshman we had two normal cops at our school that came every day. They were well known by the students and the kids accepted them as authority because, more often than not, they knew how to handle a problem better than we would have.

However, for whatever reason, the Board of Education is apparently scared of children, because they have assigned at 5 more security guards to the school in the past year.

That destroys the process of education.

How are kids expected to think critically or differently than a quo if everywhere they go they are reminded that their elders view them as a threat that needs to be contained?

So here is my suggestion to the diminished education program that we have today.

  1. Get back to your values. School isn't about control, it isn't about molding children to fit your ideas. It's about having the ability to learn and find their own beliefs and passion. Why are we trying to suppress free thinking?
  2. Get rid of all the authoritarian garbage. And don't hire an ex-Colonel as a superintendent! You need someone who understands kids, not someone who fears them. Kids don't need to be controlled, they need to be shown the light of education and make their own way of it all.
  3. Don't stick to such a strict, unchanging schedule of teaching and tests. Get rid of standardized testing multiple times a year. Branch out, and teach widely, not narrowly.
I hope that this gets fixed, for the sake of everyone that goes through the system.

I want things to be better for the people that come next. I hope we all do.

That's all for today, I'll be back tomorrow with another post.

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet." -Aristotle

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete