Monday, November 17, 2014

No, We Invade People Too.

"The United States," President Obama said, was "very firm on the need to uphold core international principles, and one of those principles is that you don't invade other countries."

Wow... Is this real life? Am I dreaming?

Did Charles Manson just tell the American public that it's wrong to kill people?

The United States invaded Iraq on pretenses of chemical weapons that didn't actually exist. The United States has been at war for 214 of it's 238 year existence. We have bombed innocent people, killed in the name of injustice, and laughed at the pain of others.

Now, we scorn Russia and put ourselves above them for doing the same thing that we've done for hundreds of years.

Does anyone operate on something but pure ignorance when running government anymore? Yes, Russia invaded Ukraine, and yes, the United States invaded Iraq, Grenada, Panama, Kuwait, Afghanistan, Somalia, Haiti, Bosnia, Kosovo, and Libya in the past 20 years (Not including airstrikes in Sudan and covert operations in Pakistan and within Mali.). But can't we all just be friends...?

I suppose not.

The thing is, the President, as well as his predecessors, no doubt see the invasions by the United States as necessary evil, not as the blunt, no-excuse invasions they really were.

We must understand, despite what we've been taught growing up, that America is not different than any other country on this planet. We are not the greatest country in the world, no matter what it is what we have been told. The only greatest thing we have is that our military spending is higher than the next 8 countries combined.

That's not a good thing either.

You cannot prepare for peace while simultaneously preparing for war. That's not the way humanity works. If you have the world's most powerful military at your fingertips, someone's fingers will get itchy.

So don't believe that we are above these people, or somehow different, because we are us and they are them. Our crimes are just as dispicable, Mister President. And you'd be smart not to forget it.

That's all I have for today, but I'll be back tomorrow with another post.

"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." -Ernest Hemmingway

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete