Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Fighting In The Streets of Greece

41 years ago yesterday, the militaristic dictatorship of Greece was toppled by the students of a distraught and crippled nation.

So, on the 41st anniversary, protesters took to the streets demonstrating anti-police-state opinion.

There was an undeniable amount of anti-Americanism going on throughout the protests (which primarily took place outside the U.S. Embassy), including, but not limited to, the burning of American flags.

The reason for this anti-American attitude that has been thrown around is due to the fact that in the year 1973 when the revolts take place, the military junta that was in power was heavily United States backed.

So, now the Greeks took to the streets, not only in remembrance of their painstaking fight against the tyranny of an oppressive regime, but have an additional goal. That goal is to end the militarization of their police force, in fear of a familiar tone being forced back onto the shoulders of their oncoming generations.

Around 8:30 PM, a group of young protesters attacked a squadron of riot police, which lead to the firing of tear gas, more aggressive tactics, and street searchings which only furthered civilian aggravation with the police force.

I must say, speaking from person observations, it amazes me how modern governments repetitively call their citizens free, and they insist that they run by the people's voice. However, when the citizens call for change, and when the people demand progression, suddenly it's all about the government knowing best.

You see, we as a people have come to form this very romantic, very ideological view of how we live, and how we govern ourselves. We love this romanticized view of reality so much, that we prefer it over what truly exists.

That's not abnormal, it gives birth to beautiful art and wonderful creations from humanity. However, we cannot sit back and pretend, using that idealization, that we are somehow not in any danger of having our freedoms stripped.

Living in freedom will be a constant anxiety-paranoia-driven nightmare, and that's the price we pay. However, we must also accept that if we want to keep being free we must use that anxiety to spawn the greatest civilization the world has ever known.

So I support these freedom fighters, and I hope they keep fighting until they get what they are demanding, because that is what true freedom is.

That's all I've got for today, but I'll be back again tomorrow with another post.

"She was beautiful. But she was beautiful in the way a forest fire was beautiful. Something to be admired from a distance, but not up close." -Unknown

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete