Sunday, November 23, 2014

Eminem "Threatens To Rape Iggy Azalea", And Now What?

Before I start, this week my posts will be slightly shorter than before, only do to the fact that I am out of school until next Monday and will be spending the majority of the time with my family. Regardless, I will still be releasing posts daily and will go back to normal next Monday. (I will be taking off entirely for Thanksgiving, however.)

The rap artist Eminem has never been known for his public restraint and politically correct mouth. There's an unspoken contract that we, the public, not ask him to be and in turn he makes 13-Grammy-wins deserving music. In the past he has called out several female artists and public figures for various reasons including; Christina Aguilera, Norah Jones, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Khloe Kardashian, Kim Kardashian, Lindsay Lohan, Rihanna, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Alba, Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, Pamela Anderson, and Lana Del Ray.

Eminem will be releasing his newest album (Shady XV), and just recently there was some content leaked off the album. This was the line from his song named "Vegas"


"So, what’s it gon’ be?
Put that shit away, Iggy
You gon’ blow that rape whistle on me ... scream!"

 "Rapper" Iggy Azalea  fired back on Twitter saying:

"Im bored of the old men threatening young women as entertainment trend and much more interested in the young women getting $ trend. zzzz"

The reason I chose to talk about this is because I think there is a real message that we need to pull from the drama-loaded nonsense. As always, women are angry at Eminem and giving him all sorts of hell in the name of anti-massaginism.

Not that anyone is pro-rape, because that's not a truly existent viewpoint, I do have a problem with this sort of harsh backlash to Eminem's music. Surface level, I am sure that sounds hateful of me, but let me explain.

Eminem is an entertainer, who's sole job is to use his talent to make other people's lives more enjoyable. Also, his songs are generally, with the exceptions that be, are suppose to be taken comedically. Eminem doesn't want to rape Iggy Azalea but he is rapping music that will make his fans giggle and rap along.

That's not pro-rape, that's not hateful, it's just entertainment. The idea proposed, that we should censor entertainment in any case, seems ridiculous to me. He isn't promoting rape, he is just rapping for the enjoyment of his fans.

The fact that it is nothing more than that, is the reason that I cannot bring myself to be angry about this sort of thing, is that the entertainment industry, despite all of it's many qwerks, makes people happy and has no further purpose than that.

In other words, although rape is clearly wrong, Eminem is a rapper. Don't take his words as anything more than someone trying to get a small laugh out of the people who idolize him.

That's all for today, but I'll be back again tomorrow with a new post.

"Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned. They're only powerful when you've got your back turner." -Eminem

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete