Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Israel Will Continue Occupation, Says U.N.

A motion, which was set in place by Jordan, to end the occupation of the Palestinian Territories by the Israeli Forces was voted on by the U.N. Security Council.

Of the 15-Country strong group, only two voted against the proposal (five remained abstained from the matter) and those two were the countries of Australia and the United States. Due to the U.S. and Australia's vote, the motion fell one vote short of being put into place.

The documents called for the complete withdrawal of Israeli forced within three years, and for a comprehensive peace agreement to be drawn up within a year. The document also called for new territory lines to be drawn out based on pre-1967 conditions.

After the vote, United States U.N. ambassador Samantha Powers said:
"We voted against this resolution not because we are comfortable with the status quo. We voted against it because... peace must come from hard compromises that occur at the negotiating table."
Although that is very ideologically romantic, and sounds like she has some deep thought process here, those words are meaningless. It's simply a politically correct way to retain plausible deniability while giving Palestine the short end of the rope.

Hopefully, this minor set back does not destroy the hope that Palestine and Israel will have legitimate, understanding peace at some point. However, it appears that there are far too many opinionated extremities on the matter. We cannot discuss Palestine and Israel without religion and controversy being dragged into the confusion that is the Middle East, and I do not believe that we will be able to grant peace until people are willing to set aside such childish things when dealing with politics.

That's all I have for today, but I'll be back again Friday.

"Stand among the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer." -Javik

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete