Monday, December 8, 2014

Dick Cheney Is A Liar. What Else Is New?

Before I start, I will not be posting any posts next week, as I will be studying for my exams. However, until then, and from the following Monday forward, everything will be as normal on here.

With that said, former Vice President Dick Cheney has now officially been caught red-handed for lying about the involvement of torture tactics in locating Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

The executive summary report is expected to be released today (December 9th, 2014 being the day of publishing of this entry).

However, this revelation says a lot about the argument on torture, and not even to mention the notorious mischief and dishonesty of politicians like Dick Cheney.

The torture of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed being linked to the death of Osama bin Laden was the largest argument in favor of the continuous usage of torture in Guantanamo Bay, which should have been closed a long time ago.

(Many people attribute Guantanamo not closing as a fault on President Obama, who promised to decommission the prison in his initial campaign. Although it is easiest to point fingers at one people, and not a building of partisan hacks, the President did try to close Guantanamo, and was shut down by Congress.)

However, the recent confirmation that this lie was in fact a lie once again sparks the question of torture used by the CIA, which has so far only proved to not work. Although torture makes people talk, they often speak lies. When you torture someone, in order to end pain, but also remain in a comfortable political standpoint with their allies, detainees will lie and tell the interrogators what they believe they want to hear.

The effects of the report are clear: Torture does not work, and if you have to lie to justify the usage of it, you're making a puppet of a dead body.

The Guantanamo Bay hunger strike made the world glance at the issue, but slip back into blissful ignorance. This issue must be addressed, as it is clear to the rest of the world, as well as the citizens of its own country, the usage of torture by the United States is a direct violation of human rights. If we want to pretend, for even a moment, that we are civilized, we must first get rid of barbaric traditions like this.

That's all I have for today, but I'll be back tomorrow with a new post.

"When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this - you haven't." -Thomas Edison

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete