Monday, December 1, 2014

Charges Dropped Against Officer Who Killed 7-Year-Old

Due to the high amount of coverage of the Mike Brown case, there were many stories that the news media glanced over to make room for the coverage of riots, strikes, and lootings. Although this sort of news may be much more exciting than the typical news, there have still been very crucial stories on the back burner to make way for it.

One of these stories is that a cop who fatally shot a 7-year-old sleeping girl was acquitted of any charges against him.

During a SWAT raid to search for a potential murder suspect, Officer Darren Wilson was the first in the door. The officer claimed that another member of the team has tossed a flash grenade into the room, temporarily blinding him, which led to the shot with killed 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones.

All reasoning aside, simply having his finger on the trigger of a submachine gun during a police-raid is improper, not only to the police training, but general knowledge. Common Sense would dictate keeping your finger off of a live trigger with potential civilian casualties in the room would be ideal.

However, that was not the case here. Instead, in a moment of panic, an innocent child was shot and killed. The potential manslaughter charge was dropped, and the court of appeals refused the case.

This is simply another instance where police prove that they are not worth the trust of a well-educated public. This sort of carelessness has put civilians lives in danger time and time again, however for some reason we put up with it in the name of lawfulness.

Maybe lawfulness is a necessary force in a well-oiled society, but it's becoming more and more apparent (especially through actions like Wilson's) that the citizen-safety-department is in desperate need of radical reform. For whatever reason it may be, the current law-enforcement situation is simple no longer working. 

There are many systems (such as this law-enforcement system, the public education system, FCC distinction laws, etc.) that are in bad need of reform, but we still helplessly grasp to like a baby to its bottle. We must realize that for the first time in history we are witnessing the exponential progress of humanity, and we must learn to adapt accordingly. That is the only way to end failings like this.

That's all I've got for today, but I'll be back tomorrow with another post.

"How odd I can have all this inside me, and to you it's just words." -David Foster Wallace

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete