Sunday, March 1, 2015

Russia.

In recent months, Russia has been a particular subject of interest (and conflict), and reasonably so. They have invaded Ukraine, prejudiced against homosexuals, suffered economic downfall, and lied to international authorities.

On Friday, a Russian politician named Boris Nemtsov was shot dead in the streets of Moscow. However, this was not a coincidental, cold-blooded murder. Nemtsov was a leading opposition politician who advocated against the War in Ukraine. Hours before his death, Boris was interviewed calling for "honest elections".

Following his death, tens of thousands of protesters took to the streets of central Moscow in support of the opposition politician. Mr. Nemtsov's allies and friends demanded that the Kremlin was involved, despite Putin calling the murder "vile" while vowing to find the killers.

Opposition supporters marched from the Kremlin past the Great Moskvoretzky Bridge while chanting "Russia Without Putin" and holding up portraits of Nemtzov saying "I Am Not Afraid".

This event and the following protests spell out issues for the Kremlin, particularly following a public opinion poll by the Institute of Priority Regional Projects showed that over 73% of Russian citizens believe that Russia is in a period of legitimate crisis.

Ilya Yashin, a mutual opposition politician stated;
"a political murder aimed at frightening the... part of the population that supported Nemtsov and did not agree with the government. I hope we won't get scared."
That's all I have to say today, but I'll be back tomorrow.

"What is the face of a coward? The back of his head as he runs from the battle." -Frank Underwood

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete