Thursday, March 5, 2015

American Blogger Hacked to Death in Bangladesh, One More Unnecessary Death

Avijit Roy, a prominent American blogger of Bangladeshi origin was found after being hacked to death by machetes by Dhakan assailants. This attack, which left Avijit dead  and his wife severely injured and without a finger, was supposedly a follow-up  to a string of threats he received from Islamic terrorists.

Avijit was the co-founder of Mukto-Mona (Free Mind), which champions liberal secularist writing within the Muslim-majority nation of Bangladesh. His body was found covered in blood and his wife was immediately taken into the hospital.

Reportedly, the two were on a bike rickshaw on the way back from a book fair before they were stopped by the two attackers, who dragged them onto the pavement and repetitively beat them with machetes.

Thousands have sinced gathered in the streets of Dhaka chanting slogans such as "We want justice" and "Raise your voice against militants".

Roy's daughter posted this Facebook status 15 hours after the incident;
credit to /u/thanhn67

Sadly, Roy is only the most recent in a string of injustices to journalism. A disgustingly large amount of people are forced to be martyrs in order to carry the truth in one hand and a pen in the other. This includes the Charlie Hebdo victims, Steven Sotloff (beheaded by ISIS while covering the Syrian conflict [1 of 70]), Austin Tice (missing in Syria, but likely alive being held capture), Serhiy Nikolayev, Adam Juma, Musa Mohamed, Dalia Marko, Randa George, and Boutros Martin who were all killed recently in the line of journalism, and 347 journalists, assistants, and netizens (citizen journalists, particularly on the Internet) imprisoned.

This war on truth is one that cannot be overlooked. If you would like to learn more about this persecution, the Reporters Without Borders are always on the lookout for these injustices, and, naturally, I will speak on behalf of any arising issues.

That's all I have to say today, but I'll be back Monday.

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete