Thursday, September 25, 2014

Welcome to my Diary

My name is Christophre Dennen, and I started this blog because I've found myself stuck in a position that most people my age do not find themselves in very often. I care. I genuinely care about the world, about other people, and about all the many problems we face as a culture and as a society. I had just assumed that this was the normal type of thing to start thinking about as a high schooler. Why not, right?

But that was wrong, and I know that now. The majority (however, not anywhere near all) of high schoolers couldn't tell you where Syria is. They've never heard of Palestine. They have never experienced anything but one-sided, often uneducated opinions on the most shallow end of politics.

I decided a couple years back to start reading more, and to learn my own interests and I realized that I didn't find myself on the side of political debates that I'd been told I was on from the time I was a kid by my community.

I am 16 years old and I love news, I love music, I love art, writing, reading, technology, movies, and just culture as a whole. I have many outlying opinions, and many majority-accepted opinions. I will, no doubt, offend someone, at some point.

I believe in the power of my generation to make change. I also believe change is needed. People talk about the great might of the Baby Boomers and how much strength their numbers gave them. There were around 75 million people born into the Baby Boomer generation. What people don't mention is that every generation since then has grown.

The Baby Boomers made a difference, and it was a difference that authorities didn't like and weren't aware was possible. We have that same power. We have the power to change things.

At the end of every one of these posts I will leave a Song and Quote of the Day down here. You obviously don't have to listen to the song, it's just music that I personally enjoy and find a powerful message in.

 "We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?" -Fahrenheit 451

1 comment:

  1. I'm young high school student on 61 Broadway #2825, New York, NY 10006. I have had problems with my sexuality, gender identity, and place in society. However, even though with these problems, I have still manage to follow this courageous blog. You have inspire to come out to the world and express my inner-Bruce Jenner. That was for humorous effect. You are my muse, flame, and inspiration. I adore you and when I finally "bat" for the other "team". (By that mean switching gender identities) I will find you and express my true desires to you.
    (P.S. I sorry for the grammar, I have too much feelings for you.)

    ReplyDelete